St. George’s School, Via Cassia – Rome
“If you come to learn then you are made to learn” (Maria Montessori 1870 -1952)
Learning to learn before being able to do it consciously; Claimed Maria Montessori (1870 -1952), one of the most famous Italian teachers.
It is difficult to build a school in todays environment for various reasons: an insufficient student to teacher ratio, insufficient technology products, limited economic resources, etc.
Enterprise, today, at all simple to implement for various reasons: too many classes, teachers report students absent, insufficient center products, limited economic resources etc.
In light of the prior statement, we have the opportunity to improve the teaching of students activities, contributing concretely to their training, was the main reason that prompted NOS Design to “embark” in the project of the scientific section of the St. George’s British International School of Rome.
The school building, located at the gates of the city, dedicates an entire floor of its building to the science section: laboratories of physics, chemistry, compound preparation rooms, classrooms simple connection spaces and services, are the environments in which the section is made. Specifically NOS Design intervened in the laboratories, in preparation rooms , in connection spaces and services, completely redefining the functional layout of the same.
Objective: to create spaces that could fit the diversified needs and number of students, as well as offer a high technological standard in terms of equipment, for teaching.
To achieve this, we thought to articulate the space of a few laboratories with technological elements while leaving the rest of the free surface to be adapted for the positioning of the desks. Each of these areas has been equipped with 5 or 6 multifunctional pods: turrets attached to the floor structure, with integrated utility connections (gas system, water system, electrical system, exhaust system) used by the students for the various types of experiments.
Always following a basic logic for each room, storage units, were selected on the basis of having a larger capacity than previous ones and were placed on only two of the walls of each classroom. The specific equipment for the exclusive use of teachers (hoods for preparation of the experiments) were also always placed on the same walls.
A multi-colored checkerboard pattern, designed especially for each laboratory, defines the position of the pods: this is found also in the connection space with the purpose of visually unify and perceptually the entire floor.
The idea of the simple hallway has also been transformed from a place of passage to the place of occupying and interaction: the pattern above has been used to evoke the famous game of “Bell”, a fun pastime to do during the breaks from class that encourages socialization among students.
The choice of colors of the floors and walls was dictated by the need to create a bright and friendly environment: the dominant tone of color is gray, being mainly used for the floors and the walls, with a distinctive touch of blue (a tribute to the school that uses this color on its coat of arms), with red, yellow and green spots on the floor. Blue is then utilized in different shades: light blue stools, electric blue metallic beams of the laboratories as well as some floor inserts, dark blue the soffits of the hall windows as well as access doors, and a blue mobile container.
The overall perception of the entire floor is completely changed from the previous configuration with the space being redesigned through these interventions.
USE: British International School SIZE: 1000 sqm PLACE: Via Cassia, Rome YEAR: 2015 MISSION: Color, education, re-vitalization